Thursday, October 1, 2009

Time to Harvest your Vegetable Gardens


I know it is hard to believe, with all the beautiful weather we have been experiencing, that it is the last of September, and time to start tending to that yard work before winter hits us.


It is HARVEST TIME, and this time my carrots did not grow as big as I had hoped, so I will be pickling them, as they are the perfect size to pickle and enjoy at Thanks Giving. My zucchini on the other hand, is huge, and really delicious, so it will be cooked up on the BBQ with many other vegetables, and I may even bake a cake with it. The onions, well they are great, very delicious, and again will be cooked up on the BBQ with other vegetables. I should tell you, that I take the green tops off the onions and chop it up, and then freeze it to be used in omlettes. Everything that can be used is used or composted. I planted onions around all my vegetables this year, as they are great at keeping the rabbits away, and so now I have a lot of onions to eat. My tomato's have never tasted better, they are so sweet, and that is because they are home grown and vine ripened. I just love fresh tomatos in a salad or a sandwich.


It is also time to get those trees in your yard watered, so they can make it over the winter. Once the leaves have fallen off the trees, you can mulch them into your compost bin or into your garden. Don't forget to turn off those outside water tapes and drain them, so they don't freeze, and remember to drain the watering hose too, so it does not freeze. Well I am doing all my yard work, I tend to check out the windows and doors, to see if they need to be re-caulked, so I am not losing any heat this winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment