Monday, November 9, 2009

Go Green & Fix things instead of Replacing them


In my parents and grand parents days, things always got fixed, before they were replaced. It was in later years that society just disposed of things whether they were broken or not.


I have learned to do many things myself, including touching up a nick with a paint job, mending a blouce and sewing on a button. It is gives you a feeling of accomplishment, and your helping to save our environment.


I have found a great place to have my shoes and purse fixed and he is very reasonable too - $10 to fix a zipper in a handbag. I appreciate how much effort goes into making things run more efficiently, and treat my stuff with more respect. Many people say that if it is going to cost you more than 50% of the original cost of an item to fix it, then just replace it. I tend to take things apart and see how it works...sometimes a friend has an idea how to fix it, sometimes you do have to replace it. Here is another great link to show you how to recycle things.


I know of a person that has found several uses for duct tape, and has helped keep her car running, when she could not afford to have it fixed until pay day. This same person discovered how to barter and makes a great meal in exchange for having the vehicle worked on.


Next time you need to go shopping for an item, check to see if the original item is fixable first...do your part and help save our landfills and environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment